Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Cinder

By Marissa Meyer
Lexile = 790

File this one under "I can't believe that I haven't read this before". However, I must be forgiven since my goal here is to help readers find UNEXPECTED treasures. I think Cinder has pretty much been found by everyone already. Another oops with this title... I had it in the FANTASY section of the library, when it is clearly a science fiction/dystopian novel. Amazing what happens when one actually reads the book!

Cinder is a cyborg: half human and lots of machinery. She is considered a burden to her step mother and is mistreated by most people in her life. (do I need to mention that this is a Cinderella retelling?) In an effort to get rid of Cinder, her step mother "volunteers" her for research to cure a plague. Cinder certainly won't survive the research. Meanwhile, there is a handsome prince and a ball, and you know the rest. But maybe you don't!

Meyer has done a terrific job of twisting an old tale and giving it a futuristic setting. It is so fun to recoginze details of the fairy tale that are dropped throughout the novel. And this is just #1 of the series! More fairy tales follow! And I bet this is eventually made into a movie.

No comments: