Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Bear River Massacre: A Shoshone History

By Darren Parry

The Bear River Massacre happened in 1863 just north of where I live. There is a marker just off the road near the site. Hundreds of Shoshone tribal members, including women and children were killed by the US military. Other than the marker near the road, (which contains numberous inaccuracies about the event), I knew nothing about this massacre until recently. History is written by the victors, right? There are currently plans to build an interpretive center on the site of the massacre. Parry's slim book is the telling of this event from the native viewpoint. Darren Parry is an elder in the Shoshone tribe, and this is mostly a memoir through the eyes of his grandmother. It is an unbelievably tragic story.

















The monument erected north of Preston, Idaho.

No comments: