Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Beartown

By Fredrik Backman
Lexile = 840

Beartown is a small town with not alot going on... except ice hockey. The high school ice hockey team is about to compete in the national semi-finals, and they actually have a shot at winning. Here's the thing: the town wants these boys to win so badly that they can do no wrong off of the ice. They are the heroes of this town. Well, that is going to not work out in the long run.

This book is not about hockey, but about how a town raises its kids. If you read it with that in mind, it will really make you think. I know boys and girls like the ones on the Beartown team. I know parents like their parents. I think sports are great for kids. But sometimes it creates a culture that is unhealthy for all.

I have labelled this book as edgy... lots of language and violence including sexual violence. Backman has a story to tell and a point to make. I think he does both very well.

No comments: