Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, May 18, 2020

My Lady Jane

By Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows
Lexile = 760

This is a silly, lighthearted historical comedy, full of Monty Python-style jokes, puns and mockery. And I had it in the historical section! I have since moved it to Fantasy... although it is both. In this retelling of the tragic story of young King Edward and Lady Jane Grey, instead of the clash between Protestants and Catholics, we have a war between Verities and EĆ°ians. The latter have the power to shapeshift into various animals, and the former hate them for it. Hence the fantasy.

My Lady Jane
is actually part of a series called The Lady Janies (Ugh) which seems to be taking historical characters named Jane and spoofing their stories. (Ugh again). Fun to read, actually, but so loosely tied together I hate to see it as a series.

My Lady Jane will be more enjoyable for the reader who knows the actual story. Otherwise you may not get the jokes or the subtle nods to historical fact.

Cute summary HERE.

No comments: