Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Thirteen Doorways Wolves Behind Them All

By Laura Ruby
Lexile = 770

When I don't like a book that has won a cart-full of awards, I feel stupid. Like, what am I missing here? It seems to me that the author is attempting to tackle too much.... is each "doorway" another issue? There are lots of issues here: racism, gender inequality, abandonment, war and economic depression. Then add a ghost? I was so confused.

Laura Ruby also wrote Bone Gap, which is a magical realism book that students either LOVE or don't. I'll let you guess where I fell on that one as well.

Thirteen Doorways is about two girls that are abandoned by their father when he can't afford to take care of them after the death of their mother. It's a survival story with a little bit of everything thrown in. Yes, it won many awards. But it is one of those very rare historical fiction works that is not for me.

No comments: