Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Victory Garden

By Rhys Bowen
Lexile = ?

Some time ago, I reviewed In Farleigh Field and The Tuscan Child, both by Rhys Bowen. I have a thing for historical fiction, I know. Here is another by this talented writer. In The Victory Garden, Emily becomes a Land Girl as part of the war effort in England in 1918. That detail hooked me, as I have enjoyed the TV show Land Girls on Netflix. (That one is set in WWII.)

Emily falls in love with the "wrong" man and is forced by her proper parents to leave their estate. The novel follows Emily as she endures heart-ache, loss and unfairness. One writer described the plot as "main characters trying to steady the ship during the worst of storms." Agreed. This is ultimately a feel-good read with a bit of history.

See the official book trailer HERE.

No comments: