Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Magic Hour

By Kristin Hannah
Lexile = ?

Kristin Hannah has really evolved as a writer. Her early books are definitely "women's fiction" or, let's be honest ... romance. (I know romance can be for men, as well....) I would argue that her breakthrough book is The Nightingale, published in 2015. This World War II novel was more widely read and won many awards. I loved it. So, I purchased some more recent Hannah novels for the RHS library. I have already reviewed The Great Alone HERE. The Magic Hour was published in 2006, so it falls more in the "almost romance" category. Here's the plot: two sisters in small-town Washington state, Julia, a child psychiatrist, and the town's police chief, Ellie, try to help an abandoned six-year-old child. It was a bit confusing at the first as Julia's back story is explained.

It's all tied up neatly at the end, however. But getting there made for some compelling reading. I keep Magic Hour in the Realism section of the library, but it is a bit too neat to be REAL realism. However, I read fiction in order to suspend reality, right? Kirkus reviews noted, "Wacky plot keeps the pages turning and enduring schmaltzy romantic sequences." So you know what you are getting into.

No comments: