Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, June 21, 2019

Great Alone

By Kristin Hannah
Lexile = 740

Sometimes when I tell someone that I am reading a Kristin Hannah novel, they look at me funny. Like, "Really?" I know immediately why. Hannah began her career as a "fluffy" writer. Things you might see on the Hallmark Channel. Not SERIOUS reading. When people look at me that way, I acknowledge that. But then I am quick to tell them that she has really made a name for herself as a writer with a capital W. Hannah wrote The Nightingale in 2105. One of my favorite WWII novels, it is about two sisters and the very different choices they make to survive the war and protect their loved ones. Read it. I think that work really turned a corner for Hannah. The Great Alone is her next book.

The main character is Leni, a 13-year-old daughter of a Vietnam Vet. The war was particularly unkind to Ernt, and the PTSD that he lives with daily spills into the lives of his wife and daughter. When he decides to move the family to Alaska, you just KNOW this isn't going to end well. I actually almost stopped reading because it hurt my heart so much. Leni and her mom love Ernt, even as things darken in their lives. Luckily, they are surrounded by Alaskan men and women that will support and save them when things get impossible.

I don't think this book was written for teen readers, but it truly is teenaged Leni's story. It actually reminded me a lot of Educated by Tara Westover. Good read about surviving tough times. Looks like a movie is in the works? Or did I miss it? HERE is a trailer.

No comments: