Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, October 30, 2017

The Fixer

By Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Lexile = 620















One of my current binge shows on Netflix is:

Scandal is all about a "fixer" ... the person you turn to when you need a situation fixed. Like you found a body, but you are an important person (a senator?) that can't be involved in a scandal. You call the Fixer and they take care of it and make it all go away. Well, The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is like a young adult version of this great TV show! Here's the plot:

Tess is living with her Grandfather in Montana, but he is slowly deteriorating due to Alzheimer's Disease. Tess's big sister, who has been largely absent from Tess's life since their parents died, swoops in to rescue them both and moves them BOTH back east and into her life. Ivy Kendrick is a well-known and successful Fixer in Washington DC. Ivy's notoriety does ease the transition for Tess into her new elitist school, but students at the school think that Tess can do for them what Ivy does when she fixes things up for their parents.

I think this is a bit unbelievable, but maybe the First Lady does visit high schools in DC and ask students for favors.... uh.... likely not. I happened to take this book on a trip to DC last week, so I read it while in the city of its setting. Kinda fun. Good book. There is also a sequel.

Watch a student made trailer HERE.

No comments: