Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, October 6, 2017

Orbiting Jupiter

By Gary D. Schmidt
Lexile = 740

Lots of students really like novels by Gary Schmidt. Perhaps you have read Wednesday Wars or Okay for Now. Orbiting Jupiter tackles some tough issues. Joseph Brook is only in eighth grade, but has recently become a father and has been placed in a foster home. His own father is not a nice guy. The foster family has a boy in sixth grade - Jackson Hurd. I wouldn't say the two boys become friends, but they do "have each other's backs". Joseph does not turn into a perfect boy. In fact, the school principal repeatedly encourages Jack to stay away from Joseph.

Jupiter is the name of the new baby, a girl, who has been placed in the foster care care system and is about to be adopted. Joseph wants very much to find her.

This novel is well-written and although not for everyone, the difficult subject matter is handled well. Readers will hopefully develop a bit more compassion for kids who are orbiting worlds other than those we expect them to. I know I did.

No comments: