Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, March 20, 2017

The Circle

By Dave Eggers
Lexile = ?

Wouldn't it be great if your online social profile, your educational progress, your work, your financial records, and your health information were all in one place and instantly accessible? Imagine just one log-in and one place to get all the information you need. Wait! That almost sounds like the world we live in today. The Circle is about a fictional company that seems all too familiar.

But what about privacy? Yes, we don't want criminals and predators to have absolute online privacy, but do YOU want privacy? Should policemen wear body cameras? So, should we all wear body cameras at all times? When do we cross the line?

The Circle is really a scary book, but not scary like a man chasing you through the dark woods scary. Scary like paranoid. While reading this, I deleted many of the online accounts that I have created. I have also thought a lot about personal and institutional privacy.

Mom note here: A few scenes of a sexual nature are included. I get why.... Under what circumstances should we be granted privacy? That is the big question of this book.

The movie opens in theaters at the end of April. Watch the trailer HERE.

No comments: