Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Burn Baby Burn

By Meg Medina
Lexile = 680

Burn Baby Burn and I had a rough start. I didn't like it. The language is a bit rough and there are some sexual references... and it is just so... different from my life here in Utah. But this book keeps appearing on BEST OF.... lists, so I thought I had best persevere! Here is the set up:

Nora lives with her Mother and younger brother Hector in New York City. Dad took off when she was little and has little contact. Hector is all kinds of trouble: arson, drugs, violence, you name it. It's almost the summer of 1977 (hence the disco ball on the cover) and there is a serial killer on the loose in the city. Everyone is worried about the killer, but Nora's biggest problems are right in her own home. Even her best friend, Kathleen, doesn't get how hard Nora's life is.

No happy endings here, but once I got in to this book, I really liked Nora, hated her brother, and found myself cheering Nora on. I think good fiction opens new worlds for us. Burn Baby Burn certainly showed me a life and a time that I was unfamiliar with.

Watch a good book trailer HERE.

No comments: