Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, November 21, 2016

Dumplin'

By Julie Murphy
Lexile = 710
Should I feel guilty that this is "just" a fun read? I have been trying recently to read challenging books, and they just haven't pulled me in like this realistic story of a girl that is totally comfortable in her skin... even if she is fat.

Willowdean's mother is the head of the local beauty pageant and the pageant is a BIG deal in this little Texas town. No one even considers that Willowdean will enter, because, well.... she isn't the "type". She doesn't want to enter either, really, but then there's a job change, and a boy, and then another boy.....

I liked this trip inside of Willowdean's head. This isn't about an unfortunate, unpopular fat girl. And she doesn't miraculously find happiness with a great diet, either. Great book!

No comments: