Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Code Name Verity

By Elizabeth Wein
Lexile = 1020

When I get to a point in a book that I am saying to myself, "I HAVE to read that tonight," then I know that I am not into the book like I should be. Dang. Verity is the name of a British spy during WWII. She is captured; you know that from the very first. She is being interrogated and her story slowly emerges through this interrogation. So, it is convoluted and non-sequential and "a fiendishly-plotted mind game of a novel"... according to the New York Times. More important for students at Ridgeline, Mrs Major really likes this story. I found it a bit frustrating to wade through the telling to get to the tale. But this is a good spy story and a unique slice of World War II.

View a book trailer HERE!

1 comment:

Grace Montierth said...

I really liked Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and I will totally recommend it to anyone who enjoys novels that have the setting of WWII. One thing you should know when reading this book is that it is really slow and confusing for a little over the first half of the book. After you get past that point, the story comes together and makes a heck of a lot more sense! It was really good once you reach the end, but you just need to push on through the slow parts because it will get better! Once again, I really liked the book and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good spy story.