Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Staircase

By Ann Rinaldi
Lexile = 590

Rinaldi is one of my favorite authors. She is a master of historical fiction; she takes an actual event and fills in the details and dialogue to bring history to life. The Staircase is inspired by something I was unfamiliar with - the legend of the "miraculous" staircase in the Chapel of Loretto in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Into this backdrop, Rinaldi places her main character, Lizzy Enders, who has been sent to the convent school run by Catholic Nuns even though she is Methodist! The nun are completing their sanctuary, but are stymied by how to build a staircase in the tight space.

Jose is hired to complete the job. This mysterious carpenter has almost mystical abilities. I'll leave it to you to determine who Jose really is.

I have a few books by Rinaldi in the library. You've got to try these!

No comments: