Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall

By Wendy Mass
Lexile = 1120

I have always imagined that when we die, our lives are reviewed by watching a giant "highlight reel" of our life. The worrisome part is Who gets to watch? However it happens, it makes sense that there is a review of some type. Mass approaches this topic through Tessa, who is killed(?) by an errant dodge ball in gym class.

Tessa's life is reviewed by studying objects that she has purchased at the local mall, presented to her in a shopping bag after her death. Each following chapter focuses on one item and the story that shaped Tessa that goes with the item.

Wendy Mass has written some of my favorite middle-grade novels, including 11 Birthdays and 12 Finally among others. They seem to be realistic, but with a bit of a fantastic twist, which I love. Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall is much the same. One complaint: It is written in "verse".... so it looks like poetry. But it's really not... just shorter lines... Read it as you would any other novel. The "versification" does make it an easier read. Enjoy!

No comments: