Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Adventurous Deeds of Deadwood Jones



By Helen Hemphill
Lexile = 720

Yes, yes... I am still here. And I have been reading, just
S L O W L Y.

Deadwood Jones is really named Prometheus Jones and is the son of slaves recently freed at the end of the Civil War. Prometheus heads west to avoid trouble with the boys on the plantation. He and his cousin become cowboys on a cattle drive headed north to the Dakotas.

This book is much more difficult than the AR level indicates. It is a slow book, but by the last few chapters, I simply couldn't put it down.

Prometheus wants to search for his father that ran away from the plantation on the night his son was born. His mother has died, and Prometheus has to find his own way in the world. Did I mention he is only 13 years old?

Along the way, he performs not only "adventurous deeds" but a few heroic ones, as well. Oh, and it is a bit of a tear-jerker, as well.

No comments: