Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Bread Winner

By Arvella Whitmore
Lexile = 650

Did you know that I worked at a bakery for years and years? While there, I advanced from sales girl to head baker! I made all the bread loaves, cookies, and best of all, the cinnamon rolls. Maybe that connection is why I like this book so much.

The Bread Winner
takes place during the depression - 1932. Sarah's family has just lost their farm. They pack up their few possessions and move to a tiny shack in town. Sarah's father looks and looks for work, but is unable to find anything to bring money to the family.

Things get worse and worse; her father leaves to find work out west. Sarah and her mother are about to get kicked out of the shack, even. Then Sarah comes up with a plan. One year, she won a blue ribbon for her baking in the county fair. She decides that selling her bread just might bring enough pennies to make a difference.

Sarah turns out to have the courage to do hard things and to lead her family out of trouble.

Read this book!

No comments: