Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The Giver of Stars

By Jojo Moyes
Lexile = 820

I was given this book on Christmas and finished it the very next day. Moyes is best known for Me Before You, which was made into a cute, SAD movie. The Giver of Stars is totally different. This is based on the real-life adventures of the pack horse librarians of Kentucky. Read that sentence again: Pack-Horse Librarians! This was a program during the depression to get books (and magazines, and recipes, and sewing patterns) into the hands of back-woods residents of the Appalachians. It was a bookmobile on four legs. Nearly all the librarians were women, riding routes daily to serve their patrons, many of which never left their isolated homes.

Now, I could like this book because of the library theme, but I REALLY liked this book because of the story of finding your true self and surrounding yourself with people who will truly love and support you and your dreams. I have read that Moyes is being accused of plagarizing The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, which I have also read. Yes, they are both about pack-horse librarians, but I don't see the plagarism here.

Watch a short book trailer produced by a public library HERE.

No comments: