Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, June 8, 2018

Sky in the Deep

By Adrienne Young
Lexile = ?

Violent Viking Fantasy. There. I am done. Well, there is a touch of romance. But this is pretty gory..... Lots of axes and scabbards and innards spilling out. Really.

Here's the story, and it is a good one. Eelyn lives with her Father in a society that goes to war every five years with a similar Nordic tribe. The intervening years are all about training and preparation for the coming warring season. Eelyn lost her brother, Iri, in the last battle season. She witnessed his death. Fast forward to the current fighting season. Eelyn is "saved" by an encounter with a warrior who she thinks is Iri. But that can't be, right? The villagers believe that Iri's spirit has returned to honor and spare his sister in battle. But Eelyn knows better.

The societies depicted in Sky in the Deep are profoundly religious. I liked the descriptions of their worship houses, their deities, and their ceremonies. That all felt very authentic. I liked the characters, especially the warrior women. Reminded me a bit of the recent Wonder Woman movie. But I think this book will appeal to boy readers as well as girls. Themes of loyalty, friendship and familial bonding make this story both a good read and an opportunity to consider what you would do to defend those you love.

Watch the official book trailer HERE. Although I think the costume doesn't look very authentic... too modern looking.

No comments: