Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Ever the Hunted

By Erin Summerill
Lexile = 740

Britta's father has been killed. He was a bounty hunter for the king and trained Britta in his ways of tracking and hunting. He also had an apprentice... Cohen. The King captures Britta and tells her she can have her freedom (and her home and land) if she tracks Cohen and turns him over to the Crown. So that is the set up. What follows is an adventure like Ranger's Apprentice, Ruined by Amy Tintera, or others along that line. All super popular right now.

Summerill visited Ridgeline in mid-May. Until then I hadn't read her books. One thing she said in her presentations has stuck with me. It was along the lines of the protagonist has to "want something" and the whole plot is getting him or her to that something. Thinking on that has made me a bit more analytical as I read. "Why is this scene here?" "What does the character want now?" or... "How does this chapter move the character towards what he or she wants?"

Ever the Hunted is first in a trilogy, so there is the obligatory cliffhanger ending here. Definitely all worth a read. Solid story, well-done characters and just a touch of romance.

Watch a (very cheerful) review HERE.

Ever the Hunted is on the nomination list for the Beehive Book Award.... Utah students pick their favorites! See all the current picks HERE.

No comments: