Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Long Way Down

By Jason Reynolds
Lexile = 720

Our copy of Long Way Down doesn't look exactly like the cover here. Since I bought it, Long Way Down has won a ton of awards, most importantly the Newbery Honor. I always feel a bit of pride when I pick a book up before it has been discovered by the masses. Not sure this is for kids though.... some rough language and it's all about gun violence. I think of Newbery books as being for children, but this particular winner is what I classify as "edgy".

Will's brother has been killed on the streets and Will knows he has to get revenge. Although he has never even held a gun, he takes the gun his brother had hidden in his drawer and rides down the elevator at their apartment building with the intent to exact that revenge.

What follows is almost like Dickens' A Christmas Carol as Will is visited on the elevator by several ghosts. It is indeed a long way down.

Read or listen to an interview with the author done by National Public Radio HERE.

No comments: