Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, March 30, 2018

Before We Were Yours

By Lisa Wingate
Lexile = ?

Heartbreaking. Before We Were Yours falls smack dab in the middle of my favorite category: historical fiction that flashes back and forth with the "now" story. Since you know the "now," you know that everything turns out ok, but getting there is pretty painful in this case.

12-year-old Rill Foss thinks her life is pretty perfect and then on the night her mother is about to give birth to twins, she ends up in charge of four younger siblings and so very alone. The intriguing part of the "flash forwards" is that everyone's names are changed... so I was unsure of who was who. Rill tries valiantly to save and protect all those kids from the evil adults in their lives. I can't tell you if she is successful or not.

Makes me think how vulnerable children are.... and they don't even know it. Luckily, they are also resilient.

Listen to an interview with the author HERE. (It's kinda long....)

No comments: