Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Factory Girls: A Kaleidoscopic Account of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

By Christine Seifert
Lexile = 1040

I didn't know anything about the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire in 1911 until I read A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner. By the way, LOVED that book.... read my review HERE. The devastating fire that happened in the factory located in New York was the turning point in union organizing and laws concerning factory safety and child labor.

Factory Girls
follows five girls that worked at the factory.... some lived and some died. I was interested mostly in the other characters in the tragedy: the greedy owners of the factories, the consumers, who (like us) demand cheap fashion and don't realize the cost, and the powerful, brave women that lobbied for change.

This really isn't a book I would pick up for fun reading, but it provides background and context for other things I am reading. I also have Flesh and Blood so Cheap here in the library which covers the same topic. See a great interview with a descendant of a victim of the fire HERE.

No comments: