Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

elsewhere

By Gabrielle Zevin
Lexile = 720

What happens when you die? Lots of books have been written about this topic, both fantastical fiction and supposed "non-fiction". Elsewhere is where you end up after death, according to this author. It's a lot like earth, but just a little different. People that you knew on earth that have gone before you are there as well. Liz is killed unexpectedly and eventually arrives at this strange place. The Grandma that died before Liz was born greets her. Because her death was sudden and she is young, adjusting to elsewhere is difficult. Liz just wants to return home.

Now, this is about death. But it is funny! I gotta say I like this author's vision of heaven... and how everyone ends up returning to earth! Gabrielle Zevin is the author of two other novels I have read: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac and The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry. Fikry is one of my all-time favorites. I liked Amnesiac as well. Both are in the Ridgeline Library.

Elsewhere would make a great movie. Until then, HERE is a link to a trailer created by a student.

No comments: