Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Friday, March 31, 2017

The Sky Between You and Me

By Catherine Alene
Lexile = NP

I've commented before that I don't really like books in verse; I think it is cheating a bit at writing. In the author's notes at the back of this book, she says that she began with just a poem and ended with a book. The poetic form works for this difficult topic, but I still wished for more description and character development.

Raesha's Mom died a few years ago, leaving her and her Father to stumble along in their grief. Rae's beloved dog, Blue is injured in a cattle round up because of the recklessness of a new girl in town. Rae is determined to NOT become friends with this girl. But Kierra seems to fall in with this little rodeo crowd and Rae begins to spiral into destructive thoughts in an effort to be a better barrel racer and keep the boy that she loves.

The Sky Between You and Me is a quick read, due to the poetic nature of writing.

No book trailer available for this title, but HERE is a clip of barrel-racing, in case you don't know what I am talking about.

No comments: