Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, April 11, 2016

A Whole New World: A Twisted Tale

By Liz Braswell
Lexile = 760

I almost gave up on this one. I KNEW it was supposed to be a retelling of the Disney version (I was even singing the soundtrack as I read), but it WAY too close to the movie for me... at least until about page 130. So, I almost gave up. But then it takes a turn and speeds off on its own. Hallelujah!

In this version, Aladdin doesn't get his every wish and the kingdom doesn't turn out for a great parade in his honor. Instead, evil is afoot and Aladdin and Jasmine must join forces with the street rats to overthrow the government and the magic behind it. Genie is not wholly on their side, but he is still the wisecracking and wise genie voiced by Robin Williams in the Disney movie. Great quote by Genie, "A wish is the most powerful thing in the universe if you know how to work around the limitations."

Throughout the book there are nods to the original plot from the movie, like when Aladdin wishes he could just sail off on a magic carpet with Jasmine over the rooftops of Agraba. Of course, that was a different plot line! There's more fighting in this version than I recall in movie; this is aimed at an older audience.

This title is part of a "Twisted Tale" series. I plan to pick up the others as well, I just hope they get to the twist a little faster!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book a lot. It does start out the same as the movie and then there is a new plot. Even the characters are a bit different as the story goes on. You never know what will happen next. This book and the rest of the "Twisted Tale" series are extremely good. When I thought something was coming, they changed it up! Read this way cool book!