Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, March 21, 2016

A Fall of Marigolds

By Susan Meissner
Lexile = ?

Do you know where you were when the twin towers fell in New York? Yeah, that's what I thought. Many of the students that I hope read this blog weren't even alive on September 11, 2001. It's ancient history. And, I bet none of you were alive on March 25, 1911, when then triangle shirtwaist fire killed 145 people in New York. Have you even heard of this tragedy?

A Fall of Marigolds expertly weaves these two New York disasters into one thoughtful, albeit fictional, account. Clara Wood is a nurse on Ellis Island in 1911. She exiled herself there after witnessing, and losing loved ones in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in Manhattan. Ellis Island housed a hospital for quarantined immigrants. Clara becomes close to a particular immigrant whose wife died on the journey from England. His trunk contains a bit of a dilemma that entangles Clara and is passed down to 2001 and the attack in New York.

I'm not sure if this is a book intended for a high school library. Nothing inappropriate here; but its lack of Lexile ranking and the fact that this author is hard to find on "school" sites makes me wonder. But it is a book that I would like to share and pass on to readers of all ages. I think you will like it. And I'm buying it for Ridgeline.

No comments: