Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Jade Green: A Ghost Story

By Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Lexile = 1040


I like ghost stories. I also really like books by this author. I liked Jade Green. But it is pretty creepy. I know, I know. It IS a ghost story. My expectation was that at the end, things would turn out like a Scooby Doo episode - where the bad guy has figured out a way to make it SEEM like there is a ghost. But there really is a ghost here; or at least part of a ghost.

In addition to this being a ghost story, it is also historical. No exact time is given, but Judith Sparrow arrives at her uncle's home after the death of both parents, and she arrives by carriage. She also gets a job at a hat shop. Other such clues led me to believe that this book is set in the late 19th century.

The ghost that inhabits Judith's uncle's home is bent on revenge, and Judith's actions bring that ghost back to the house. Jade Green is a quick, scary read. Perfect for Halloween or anytime you want to not sleep very well.

No comments: