Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beyonders: A World Without Heroes


By Brandon Mull
Lexile = 740

I am going to break one of my personal rules here and post a book before I have finished it. Here’s why: Too many of you are dying to get this into your hands! So, I am on page 132 of this 454 page tale. This is the story so far (and I can already highly recommend it!):

Jason is a normal kid with a normal life. He works at a zoo. One day, he notices that there is strange music coming from the hippo pond. As he leans closer and closer to figure it out, he falls into the pool, into the hippo’s mouth and into another world. Yeah, weird.

This world, Lyrian, is ruled by an evil emperor. At first, Jason doesn’t really care; he just wants to return home. But when he peeks into a book of forbidden knowledge, he is involved whether he wants to be or not! Ok, this book is covered with human skin and written in blood. That is an image that is sticking with me!

Jason is not alone in his quest. Lyrain is looking for a hero, and I’m just betting that Jason (and his comrade) will be forced into heroism. Early in this quest, Jason is counseled by a wise helper:

So many misconceptions surround the notion of heroism. Far too many categorize a hero as a champion on the battlefield, a commander of legions, a master of rare talent or ability. Granted there have been heroes who fit those descriptions. But many men of great evil as well. Heed me. A hero sacrifices for the greater good. A hero is true to his or her conscience. In short, heroism means doing the right thing regardless of the consequences. Although any person could fit that description, very few do. Choose this day to be one of them.
Surprising how my longest review is for a book I haven’t even finished! Hurry and read this so I can have it back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The start of the book is very slow. The closer it gets to the end it is more intriguing. I like the part where Jason is captured and they put him in a pit with a snake. While he is dodging the snake he gets tired and then the snake bits him. The ending to this book makes me want to read the second book.

Brigham Bailey
3rd Hour

Unknown said...

When i was a young lad i would read books by Brandon Mull. And after reading this new installment of his literary works i am still impressed with the characters and scenarios he can set up. Jason, the main character finds himself stuck in another world and on a quest to find a magic word that will destroy an evil emperor. But theres this huge plot twist at the end so i won't spoil it. SPOILER (Darth Vader is Lukes Father) THE END

Anonymous said...

A great fantasy book that won’t disappoint! I loved the unique and fully developed world that he has created that really pulls the reader in.
I would highly recommend reading this book and the rest of the trilogy as well.