Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Handmaid's Tale

By Margaret Atwood
Lexile = 750

I remember when The Handmaid’s Tale was first released. I was working at a local bookstore in 1985 and it was considered edgy for the time. I think that is still true. Recently, the narrative has been redone as a television series. Still pretty edgy. I also have Handmaid’s Tale as a graphic novel. And FINALLY I read the book.

Wow. It’s not an easy read. In Atwood’s dystopian future, women who are unable to conceive have “handmaids” in their homes to hopefully become pregnant provide children for them and their husbands. Handmaids are only valuable if they are fertile. In this world, women can no longer read and have no freedoms. Their status revolves completely around their ability to have a child that will not be their own.

The ending of the book is a bit ambiguous; readers have been left with questions for thirty years. BUT… a sequel was released just last September! Again, not a “fun” read but definitely thought-provoking.

No comments: