Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Saturday, November 30, 2019

In Cold Blood

By Truman Capote
Lexile = 1040

Full Disclosure: I've been book-talking this title for a couple of years....telling students about its graphic nature and the horrible crime recounted in terrible detail. Certain students seemed disappointed that it wasn't gory enough. Well. It's not. In Cold Blood is considered to be the first "True Crime" book. I was surprised to see how dispassionate (in good way) the crime and the aftermath are presented.

The crime took place in late 1959. From the beginning, the reader knows who did it. Capote masterfully tracks the movements and motives of the killers and the victims. The surprise here is getting "inside" the heads of all involved. The crime is heinous, but the humanity of the killers is still evident.

Crime investigation has changed so much in the ensuing years. The access to the crime scene and to interviewing witnesses is completely different now than it was when Capote was working on this book in the sixties. I have never been a fan of crime narratives, but I loved this book!

No comments: