Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Saturday, June 23, 2018

VIII

By H.M. Castor
Lexile = 770

So I just read Fatal Throne, which tells the stories of each of the doomed wives of Henry VIII. I guess now it is Henry's turn. VIII tells his story... and best of all, it begins when he is young enough to be carried, comforted and snuggled by his mother, Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry VII.

Our little Hal is not meant to be king. His older brother Arthur is first in line for the throne. Little Henry is repeatedly ridiculed by both Arthur and King Henry. The author is obviously attempting to provide a reason for Henry VIII's later ruthless madness. Historians agree that the young Henry was handsome, playful, and engaging. His quest for power and for the ever elusive heir to the throne perhaps drove him mad. Empire and sons: that is all he wanted.

The story of Henry and all of his wives moves quickly... there is a lot to cram in here. Again, the focus is on him.... no executions are even mentioned, just that Henry has a new wife every few chapters. I am soooo glad I read Fatal Throne first... I think I needed the background in order to fly through this version.

Watch a book trailer HERE.

No comments: