Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea

by Barbara Demick

Recently I read The Girl with Seven Names, about a young girl who defected from North Korea. For me, Nothing to Envy is background material for that story. Demick, the author, is a journalist based in Beijing, which gave her more access to Koreans than most writers. Nothing to Envy dives into the lives of six North Koreans to illustrate what living in the North Korean hermit kingdom is really like. Some of her subjects are quite loyal to the regime. Eventually, they all come to see how their beloved homeland has betrayed their loyalty.

Ironically, I finished this book on the day that Trump and Kim Jong Un had their historic meeting in Singapore. I understand a bit more how the people of North Korea will view this event and how the summit will be "spun" in America and in both Koreas.

Nothing to Envy is often considered the non-fiction, modern version of 1984. It would make very interesting reading for comparison in a class. It was written in 2009... and the regime continues. Watch a well-done trailer HERE. And a longer feature including defector interviews HERE.

No comments: