Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Rebecca

By Daphne Du Maurier= 880

Rebecca is the kind of book you read because you have to, because it is an assignment. In fact, this was a re-read for me. I originally HAD to read this for a college course. I recall liking it, but had never tackled it since. In my mind, it seemed to loom large as an "assignment" book. Well. I sped through this! It was pretty easy, actually and so fun to read! Here's the story:

Rebecca is dead. I am sure we could have some argument about if she is the main character of the book... but she is definitely dead. Her husband, Maxim de Winter is vacationing in Monte Carlo when he meets a much younger woman and ends up marrying her and taking her back to his legendary home, Manderley. But the specter of Rebecca invades every corner of the grand house. The new Mrs. de Winter is naive and unsure of her role. She thus allows the creepy housekeeper, Mrs. Danvers, to control both her and the house. The new bride (we never know her name) second guesses herself constantly, creating fantastic scenarios in which her husband doesn't love her, the staff hates her, and happiness eludes her... all due to Rebecca. Can't even begin tell you all the blunders she makes.

Du Maurier is a master at slowly unfolding the secrets of the plot. Twists and turns abound here. Read the book first, then enjoy the Hitchcock version. There are many film adaptations. Enjoy!

No comments: