Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Blackmoore

By Julianne Donaldson
Lexile = ?

In college I took a class called something like "Women it Literature." I might well have been called "Women in Formulaic Historical Fiction". We read Jane Eyre, Tess of the D'Ubervilles, Rebecca, and a few more. Here is what I recall from this class: A woman that is considered "out" of society because of some embarrassing event in her past is sent to a remote and somewhat foreboding place.... usually a mansion. Living in the mansion is a mysterious and somewhat frightening, but ruggedly handsome, man. The woman overcomes her fears and ends up transforming the man into a gentle and loving husband. Think... Beauty and the Beast. That falls into this type.

So does Blackmoore. Kate has decided to never marry and we know that something has happened with her sister to cause the family disgrace. Her best friend, Henry, is the heir to a large estate, Blackmoore, on the coast. Kate's only desire is to visit Blackmoore just once before she leaves for an adventure to India with her spinster Aunt.

Ok, what have we missed.... Blackmoore is mysterious and dark.... Henry is the ruggedly handsome man. Henry is set to marry another woman, but.....

I'll let you finish the tale. This all sounds like I didn't like the book. I DID.... it was just quite predictable.


No comments: