Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, November 20, 2017

Wonder

By R.J. Palacio
Lexile = 790

Auggie Pullman is the new kid in school. He's been home schooled since forever because he has "mandibulofacial dysostosis". He says, "I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse." But at the beginning of 5th grade, his parents have decided it is time to get out there more, make friends, and start school. He is super smart and accustomed to the looks he gets in public.

Some kids at his school are "assigned" to befriend him as the year begins. Yeah, that isn't going to go well. First it does and then it doesn't. So this is his story... but also the story of his older sister and the rest of his family.

I didn't buy this book initially because it really is considered an elementary book. Then the movie was released. Haven't seen the movie yet, but if it carries the impact of the book, it should be required for all students. View a trailer for the movie HERE. Read this book.

HERE is another video featuring a real boy with the syndrome described in the book. Choose KIND.

No comments: