Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, June 19, 2017

Belle: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast

By Cameron Dokey
Lexile = 740

If you are a fan of Fairy Tales with a twist, this is the series for you! Written by several different authors, "Once Upon a Time is Timeless" is a series with about 20 titles. I purchased most of them for Ridgeline. Although I plan to read more, I started with Belle. Likely I chose this one because the Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson was recently released. I also remember Beauty and the Beast being one of my favorite fairy tales when I was just a kid.

This particular retelling follows a slightly different plot line than Disney's version. Belle has two sisters, a mother and a father. There are no angry villagers and even the castle isn't enchanted. Belle is a brave, plucky heroine with a gift for wood carving. In fact, it is her carving that takes her the Beast's home in the first place.

Overall, this is a sweet retelling of the classic tale. Lots and lots of back story here; She doesn't arrive at the Beast's castle until a bit past half way! Less romance and more inner reflection. This isn't my favorite version of Beauty, but it was a fun, quick read. Enjoy the entire series! Obviously, they don't have to be read in any particular order.

No comments: