Please browse here to find books that I think are worth your time.... or are real stinkers. I will let you know what I REALLY think of what I am reading. You might not find the newest and most popular books here, but I would LOVE it if you find something unexpectedly great!

I will indicate on each post the Lexile level of the book.
To find out more about Lexile levels, go HERE.

Use the labels list on the right side of the screen to find a title about something you are interested in. You can also search by Lexile levels.

Happy Reading!

Monday, May 23, 2016

Ink and Ashes

By Valynne E. Maetani
Lexile = 740

Every year on the anniversary of her father's unexpected death, Claire's family gathers to remember him. After the ceremony, Claire discovers a letter in her father's journal that reveals a secret. A big secret. Because of the letter, Claire doesn't know whom she can trust. Has her mother been lying to her all along? Is her step-father the good man he appears to be?

Claire, along with her brothers and their close circle of friends work together to protect each other and find out the truth.

Here is what is great about this book:

It is suspenseful. Just when you think you have it all figured out, you find that you don't. Just when you think you know the good guys from the bad guys.... watch out!

Claire is surrounded by family members who love and care for her. I can't give it all away, but she has a strong family.

Friends are real friends. Claire is also surrounded by friends that truly "have her back".

It's got a spunky, brave, and smart female character.

It's not over 'til its over.

Here is what I struggled with in this book:

I hate to admit it, but I had a hard time remembering who was who... especially all the boy characters. Claire has two brothers, and two "best friends", and then a cadre of other friends and boys asking her out. Couldn't keep them all straight. In fact, in the final climatic, evil, scary scene, I thought she was with her boyfriend.... and then she wasn't. Perhaps I just read too fast.

And just for fun:

Take the Ink and Ashes "Which Character are YOU?" personality quiz HERE!

No comments: